Jardí Tancat. Nacho Duato
CND ARCHIVE NACHO DUATO'S REPERTOIRE 90/10
- Choreography: Nacho Duato
- Music: María del Mar Bonet
- Set and Costumes: Nacho Duato
- Light Design: Nicolás Fischtel (A.A.I.) (according to the original design by Joop Caboort)
- World premiered by the Nederlands Dans Theater 2 in Hoorn, December 19th, 1983. Premiered by Compañía Nacional de Danza at Teatro Albéniz, Madrid, April 3rd, 1992.
Jardí Tancat was Nacho Duato´s first choreography. It was originally made during a workshop at Nederlands Dans Theater. Jardí Tancat - Catalonian for Closed Garden - is a collection of folk songs, based on ancient Spanish folk tales. In these songs, the Spaniards direct a supplication to God.
Choreographer Nacho Duato has portrayed this appeal in the powerful movements of three couples, who are occupied with the sowing, planting and threshing of the barren Catalonian land. They grieve about the lack of rain but try to keep high spirits in spite of this. Desperately but proudly they continue with their work, which is translated into a dynamic and expressive, yet wonderfully naive piece of dance.
María del Mar Bonet