Workwithinwork. William Forsythe
CND ARCHIVE REPERTOIRE 90/11. GUEST CHOREOGRAPHERS
- Choreography: William Forsythe
- Music: Luciano Berio Duetti for 2 violins Vol. 1 (1979-83)
- Sets and Light Design: William Forsythe
- Costumes: Stephen R. Galloway
- Staging: Noah D. Gelber
- World premiere by Frankfurter Ballet in Frankfurt, October 16 th, 1998. Premiered by Compañía Nacional de Danza at Teatro Real de Madrid, May 25th, 2004.
From the opening moments of Workwithinwork a near-ceaseless flow of motion takes on a life of its own, an eddying and ebbing current that appears to shape the trajectories of those onstage to its will, governed by the haunting rhythms of Luciano Berio's "Duetti for two Violins, vol. 1 (1979-83)". Spare and austere in atmosphere, the ballet offers a detailed, musical rendering of apparently infinite extrapolations upon classical technique, while freeing the dancers from its conventional logic. Like many different possible conversations, a succession of beautiful duos forms the heart of the piece. Framed by and emerging from larger ensembles, these encounters are impersonal, but impassioned, an encountering of physical potentiality, movement emerging as if hewn from the air. Melting into and out of the blackness at the back of the stage, their groupings shifting with kaleidoscopic certainty, the dancers might be figments of the creative imagination of an anonymous mind.