RAYMONDA DIVERTIMENTO. José Carlos Martínez
- Choreography: José Carlos Martínez (Inspired by Marius Petipa and Rudolf Nureyev's versions)
- Music: Alexander Glazunov
- Costumes: Jordi Roig and Carmen Granell
- Duration: 28 minutes
- World premiere by the Imperial Ballet on January 19th, 1898 at Mariinsky Theatre of St. Petersburg (Russia).
- Premiere by Compañía Nacional de Danza on October 18th, 2013 at Teatro Guerra, Lorca (Spain).
The ballet Raymonda (one of the last great works by Marius Petipa) takes place in three acts within a conventional conception of the Middle Ages. This Grand Pas Classique is an extract from Act III: Raymonda and Jean de Brienne are now married in the presence of the King of Hungary.
Just as the music takes on exotic Magyar tones, the classical steps are also peppered with Hungarian adornments. While the legs dance in pure classic style, the bust and arms adopt the gestures of a character dance.
"Dedicated to Maya Plisétskaya"-José Carlos Martínez-