SONATAS. José Carlos Martínez's Repertoire
- Choreography: José Carlos Martínez
- Choreographer assistants: Pino Alosa and Elna Matamoros
- Music: Antonio Soler, Sonates R.45 and R.118 and Domenico Scarlatti, Sonates K.39, K.159, K.208 and K.427
- Music orchestration: Alfredo Aracil
- Costumes: Agnès Letestu
- Lighting design: Nicolás Fischtel
- Duration: 30 minutes
- World premiere by Compañía Nacional de Danza on December 15th, 2012 at Centre Cultural Terrassa, Barcelona (Spain).
Martínez's inspiration when creating this piece came from a deep previous study of Scarlatti and Soler’s musical score. As in a sonata, the choreographic phrases repeat themselves, altering and evolving as they do so to the tempo of the musical structure. It could be taken as an "exercise in style", just as Balanchine exercised with style in some of his pieces in his day. Every dancer represents a musical instrument of the sonata's orchestral version, performing his or her own choreographic score. The result is a cohesive and harmonious set.