FALLING ANGELS. Jiří Kylián 1989
- Choreography: Jirí Kylián
- Music: Steve Reich Drumming /Part 1
- Costumes: Joke Visser
- Set design: Jirí Kylián
- Lighting design: Joop Caboort
- Staging: Roslyn Andersson
- Duration: 17 minutes
- World premiere by the Nederlands Dans Theater on November 23rd, 1989 at the AT & T Danstheater, The Hague (The Netherlands).
- Premiere by Compañía Nacional de Danza on May 25th, 2004 at Teatro Real, Madrid (Spain).
For Jirí Kylián, the fascinating aspect of Reich’s composition lies in his rhythmical structure, especially in the stylistic device called phasing. It creates a floating underground where the choreography is free to develop independently. Although Kylián customarily considers music as the primary source for his choreographies - meaning that he sets his work to an existing musical structure - with Drumming's piece he felt compelled to give unabridged priority to the dance. The result is an exciting and head-on flight of eight female dancers.