Child's Play. Nicolo Fonte
CND ARCHIVE REPERTOIRE 90/11. GUEST CHOREOGRAPHERS
- Choreography: Nicolo Fonte
- Music: Ira Mowitz (Kol Aharon)
- Sets: Nicolo Fonte
- Costumes: Nicolo Fonte (with the collaboration of Ismael Aznar)
- Light Design: Miguel Ángel Camacho
- Premiered by Compañía Nacional de Danza at Teatro de Madrid, June 5th, 1998
- At the beginning there was a forest
- and inside the forest, a clearing
- and inside the clearing, a cabin
- and inside the cabin, a mother
- and inside the mother, a child
- and inside the child, a mountain.
- Jeannette Winterson
The metaphor suggested by the above text unmistakably reflects the spirit of Nicolo Fonte's first work for the Compañía Nacional de Danza. Child's Play presents a world full of risk and adventure without end, bursting with energy, a child's world. The scenography and the lighting accentuate that particular point of view, for which attention is constantly being demanded, but if the attention is too great it could turn against the character. Forte also explores the parallelism between the behaviour of children and the feeling of the stage artist. Child's Play music is based on a violin solo and the composer's child's taped voice: the child and his scream, which represents an early personal identity.