LA ROSE MALADE. Roland Petit 1973
- Choreography: Roland Petit
- Music: Gustav Mahler
- Set design: Luigi Bonino,
- -Artistic Director of Roland Petit ballets-
- Lighting and Technical Supervisor: Jean-Michel Désiré
- Duration: 12 minutes
- World premiere by National Ballet of Marselle in 1973. Opera de Marseille (France)
- Premiere by Compañía Nacional de Danza on December 15, 1987, at Teatro Principal de Zaragoza (Spain).
Choreography based on William´s Blake poem “The marriage of heaven and hell“ based upon Gustav Mahler´s fifth symphony Adaggietto.
- O Rose thou art sick.
- The invisible worm,
- That flies in the night
- In the howling storm:
- Has found out thy bed
- Of crimson joy:
- And his dark secret love
- Does thy life destroy.
La rose malade was created for Maya Plisetskaya, and it shows: hypnotising port de bras with arms moving like underwater plants. Set to the Adagietto from Mahler’s Fifth Symphony the music and subdued lighting are beautiful by themselves. Add a wonderful couple of dancers and the result is bewitching.